Key points of the school/programs(s):
- IMD is an independent business school, with Swiss roots and global reach, expert in developing leaders and transforming organizations to create ongoing impact.
For the last 9 consecutive years, IMD has been ranked TOP 3 in executive education worldwide – FIRST in open programs (Financial Times 2012-2020).
Type of Course:
• PT Multi-modular Executive MBA (EMBA)
EQUIS, AACSB, and AMBA
Ranking: Economist EMBA Ranking 2018: No 1 on Career Progression and 5th worldwide, Financial Times EMBA Ranking 2019: 20th worldwide: International Faculty #1, International Students #5, Work Experience #4, Faculty with PhD (100%)
Starting Dates: NEW - it is now possible to start the EMBA program with a fully virtual (20 weeks of distance learning) program via the Global Management Foundations (GMF) Foundation Stage. The Foundation Stage Options are outlined below:
Option 1: Foundation Stage Lausanne
• Foundation Stage of EMBA (Step 1) Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) Starting dates in 2020 leading to the three Mastery Stages starting in 2022:
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 1: January 23 - February 11 (Started)
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 2: March 13 - April 1
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 3: May 1 - May 20
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 4: August 14 - September 2
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 5: November 6 - 25
• Foundation Stage of EMBA (Step 2) Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) - 5 weeks online distance learning module: Starting dates in 2022:
- Advanced Management Concepts I: January 17 - February 21 (Started)
- Advanced Management Concepts II: March 28 - May 2
- Advanced Management Concepts III: June 6 - July 11
- Advanced Management Concepts IV: September 12 - October 17
Option 2: Foundation Stage Virtual
• Global Management Foundations (GMF = Steps 1 + 2 of EMBA Foundation Stage): 20 weeks online, 2 intakes per year, 15-20 hours of flexible (at your own pace) per week. Stages starting in 2022:
- Global Management Foundations (GMF) 1: May 23 - October 17, 2022
- Global Management Foundations (GMF) 2: November 28, 2022 - May 01, 2023
Mastery Stage of EMBA (Step 3) (3 intakes per year) Starting dates in 2022:
- EMBA Mastery Stage 1: March 29, 2022 – April 01, 2023 – Fully Booked (waiting list available: valid for applicants who have already completed either Foundation Stage Lausanne or Virtual)
- EMBA Mastery Stage 2: August 30, 2022 – Sep 16, 2022
- EMBA Mastery Stage 3: November 29, 2022 – December 09, 2023
Length of Course:
• Part Time: from 15 to 24 months (flexible – even longer time-frame is possible)
Rolling: 30 days prior to a Foundation Stage Module 1 (Foundations for Business Leadership - FBL) starting date above or as early as possible due to classes filling early in advance
Ratio of applicants to places: 1:1 (due to pre-assessment prior to encouraging applications to be submitted formally)
Number of nationalities: 31
Percentage of international students: 87%
The Account Countries of our EMBA June 2019 Graduating class (n=64) are divided as follows:
Africa - 1.56%
Asia - 7.81%
Central & Eastern Europe - 10.93%
Northern Europe - 14.06%
North America - 3.12%
Near & Middle East - 4.68%
Western Europe - 57.81%
Men/Women Ratio: Example: 75:25
Age Range: Example: 35 - 55
Average Age: Example: 41
Length of Work Experience:
Average: 16 years
Minimum: 10 years
Admission to the IMD Executive MBA program is based upon the following 6 main criteria:
1. Professional achievement: Career progression, with a strong preference for international experience and responsibility. We look at how your responsibility has increased, the breadth and depth of the knowledge you have acquired in the workplace, and the impact you have made on your organization.
2. Leadership potential: Are you an effective leader? Do you have what it takes to become one? We look for vision, courage, initiative, maturity, curiosity, and self-confidence.
3. Intellectual ability: Undergraduate university degree or equivalent. The GMAT or other aptitude tests are not required for admissions. Entry into the Mastery Stage of the program is dependent on the assessment taking place at the end of Advanced Management Concepts.
4. International outlook: In order to maintain the highest international outlook of the IMD Executive MBA program, we look for candidates with cultural sensitivity, time spent living or working outside their own country, international scope of career, and/or knowledge of foreign languages.
5. Support of your company: The IMD Executive MBA program requires a serious commitment from you and your sponsoring organization, which must be willing to become a "laboratory" for your learning. The financial support of your organization is a matter to be resolved between you and your company.
6. English language proficiency: English is the language of instruction. You must have a strong command of both written and spoken English.
GMAT: Not required. IMD applies 4 proprietary in-program tests instead of the GMAT test:
1 x Sponsor’s Letter of Recommendation plus 2 x Personal Letters of Recommendation
3 x Essays
Certified copies of Tertiary Education Diploma with Transcripts in English, French or German
Application fee: CHF 200.00
Tuition fees (in Swiss Franc (CHF)):
Total of CHF 115’000 with installments per module of CHF 25’000 + CHF 15’000 + CHF 10’000 + CHF 65’000 = CHF 115’000 excluding travel or accommodations. Flexible payment schemes are available for the Mastery Stage fee.
Travel and accommodation estimated cost is estimated at between CHF 15'000 - 25’000 (Depending on the category of travel and accommodation for the core on-campus residential modules and discovery expedition trips)