Key points of the school/programs(s):
- IMD is an independent business school, with Swiss roots and global reach, expert in developing leaders and transforming organizations to create ongoing impact.
For the last 9 consecutive years, IMD has been ranked TOP 3 in executive education worldwide – FIRST in open programs (Financial Times 2012-2020).
Type of Course:
• PT Multi-modular Executive MBA (EMBA)
EQUIS, AACSB, and AMBA
Economist EMBA Ranking:
TOP 10 WORLDWIDE 2018- 2020 in Percentage of EMBA Faculty with PhD #1, Program Relevance #2, Salary Progression #3
Financial Times EMBA Ranking:
TOP 3 WORLDWIDE 2021 in International Faculty #1, Work Experience #3, Faculty with PhD (100%)
Starting Dates: NEW - it is now possible to start the EMBA program with a fully virtual (17 weeks of distance learning) program via the Global Management Foundations (GMF) Foundation Stage. The Foundation Stage Options are outlined below:
Foundation Stage Dates
Option 1: Foundations for Business Leadership + Advanced Management Concepts
3 weeks face-to-face + 5 weeks online
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL): November 6 - 25
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 1: January 23 - February 11
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 2: March 13 - April 1
- Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 3: May 1 - May 20
- Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) I: January 16 - February 20
- Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) II: March 27 - May 1
- Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) III: June 5 - July 10
- Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) IV: September 11 - October 16
Option 2: General Management Foundations + Advanced Management Concept
17 weeks live/online + 5 weeks online
- Global Management Foundations (GMF) 1: March 20 - July 9
- Global Management Foundations (GMF) 2: August 21- December 10
Mastery Stages Dates
- EMBA Mastery Stage 1: March 2023 – April 2024
- EMBA Mastery Stage 2: August 2023 – September 2024
- EMBA Mastery Stage 3: November 2023 – December 2024
Length of Course:
• Part Time: from 15 to 24 months (flexible – even longer time-frame is possible)
Rolling: 30 days prior to a Foundation Stage starting date above or as early as possible due to classes filling early in advance
Ratio of applicants to places: 1:1 (due to pre-assessment prior to encouraging applications to be submitted formally)
Number of nationalities: 31
Percentage of international students: 87%
The Account Countries of our EMBA June 2019 Graduating class (n=64) are divided as follows:
Africa - 1.56%
Asia - 7.81%
Central & Eastern Europe - 10.93%
Northern Europe - 14.06%
North America - 3.12%
Near & Middle East - 4.68%
Western Europe - 57.81%
Men/Women Ratio: Example: 75:25
Age Range: Example: 35 - 55
Average Age: Example: 41
Length of Work Experience:
Average: 16 years
Minimum: 10 years
Admission to the IMD Executive MBA program is based upon the following 6 main criteria:
1. Professional achievement: Career progression, with a strong preference for international experience and responsibility. We look at how your responsibility has increased, the breadth and depth of the knowledge you have acquired in the workplace, and the impact you have made on your organization.
2. Leadership potential: Are you an effective leader? Do you have what it takes to become one? We look for vision, courage, initiative, maturity, curiosity, and self-confidence.
3. Intellectual ability: Undergraduate university degree or equivalent. The GMAT or other aptitude tests are not required for admissions. Entry into the Mastery Stage of the program is dependent on the assessment taking place at the end of Advanced Management Concepts.
4. International outlook: In order to maintain the highest international outlook of the IMD Executive MBA program, we look for candidates with cultural sensitivity, time spent living or working outside their own country, international scope of career, and/or knowledge of foreign languages.
5. Support of your company: The IMD Executive MBA program requires a serious commitment from you and your sponsoring organization, which must be willing to become a "laboratory" for your learning. The financial support of your organization is a matter to be resolved between you and your company.
6. English language proficiency: English is the language of instruction. You must have a strong command of both written and spoken English.
GMAT: Not required. IMD applies 4 proprietary in-program tests instead of the GMAT test:
1 x Sponsor’s Letter of Recommendation plus 2 x Personal Letters of Recommendation
3 x Essays
Certified copies of Tertiary Education Diploma with Transcripts in English, French or German
Application fee: CHF 200.00
Tuition fees (in Swiss Franc (CHF)):
Total of CHF 115’000 with installments per module of CHF 25’000 + CHF 15’000 + CHF 10’000 + CHF 65’000 = CHF 115’000 excluding travel or accommodations. Flexible payment schemes are available for the Mastery Stage fee.
Travel and accommodation estimated cost is estimated at between CHF 15'000 - 25’000 (Depending on the category of travel and accommodation for the core on-campus residential modules and discovery expedition trips)