IMD is 100% focused on real-world executive development All IMD programs and services focus on real-world challenges faced by executives. We work with our clients—individuals, teams and organizations—to resolve their issues, build capabilities and prepare for the future. We attract outstanding Faculty members who combine thought leadership and practical experience. Run like a business, not only as an academic institution, we adopt a relentlessly problem-solving approach to create lasting value and impact.
IMD offers Swiss excellence with a global perspective Based in Switzerland and also operating out of key locations worldwide, IMD shares its host nation's commitment to excellence while offering a unique global experience. Consistently at the top of rankings, we are intellectually and culturally diverse with no single dominant nationality and no one worldview.
IMD has a flexible, customized and effective approach IMD is constantly innovating to give our clients the programs they need, where and how they need them. Without the constraints of traditional university structures and academic processes, we are agile and responsive. Starting from our own pioneering approaches—such as action learning and blended learning — our programs are adapted to address each client's individual challenges. Our only goal is to meet our clients' needs as quickly, flexibly and effectively as possible.
Key points of the school/programs(s):
- IMD is an independent business school, with Swiss roots and global reach, expert in developing leaders and transforming organizations to create ongoing impact.
For the last 7 consecutive years, IMD has been ranked TOP 3 in executive education worldwide – FIRST in open programs (Financial Times 2012-2018).
Type of Course:
• PT Multi-modular Executive MBA (EMBA)
EQUIS, AACSB, and AMBA
Ranking: Economist EMBA Ranking 2018: 5, Financial Times EMBA Ranking 2017: 29. Financial Times (2016) Executive MBA (EMBA) program: Top 3 Worldwide on following Criteria: Work experience, International Faculty, International Students.
• Foundation Stage of EMBA (Step 1) Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) Starting dates in 2018 and 2019 leading to the two Mastery Stages of 2019 - 2020:
Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 5: October 28 – November 16, 2018
(filling up fast)
Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 1: February 3 - 22, 2019
Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 2: March 17 - April 5
Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 3: May 9 - 28
Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 4: August 18 - September 6
Foundations for Business Leadership (FBL) 5: November 3 - 22
• Foundation Stage of EMBA (Step 2) Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) - 5 weeks online distance learning module: Starting dates in 2019
• Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) I: March 11 - April 15
• Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) II: August 5 - September 9
• Advanced Management Concepts (AMC) III: September 16 - October 21
• Mastery Stage of EMBA (Step 3) (2 intakes per year) Starting dates in 2019:
- April 30 and November 05
Length of Course:
• Part Time: from 15 to 24 months (flexible – even longer time-frame is possible)
Rolling: 30 days prior to a Foundation Stage Module 1 (Foundations for Business Leadership - FBL) starting date above or as early as possible due to classes filling early in advance
Ratio of applicants to places: 1:1 (due to pre-assessment prior to encouraging applications to be submitted formally)
Number of nationalities: 31
Percentage of international students: 87%
The Account Countries of our EMBA June 2019 Graduating class (n=64) are divided as follows:
Africa - 1.56%
Asia - 7.81%
Central & Eastern Europe - 10.93%
Northern Europe - 14.06%
North America - 3.12%
Near & Middle East - 4.68%
Western Europe - 57.81%
Men/Women Ratio: Example: 75:25
Age Range: Example: 35 - 55
Average Age: Example: 41
Length of Work Experience:
Average: 16 years
Minimum: 10 years
Admission to the IMD Executive MBA program is based upon the following 6 main criteria:
1. Professional achievement: Career progression, with a strong preference for international experience and responsibility. We look at how your responsibility has increased, the breadth and depth of the knowledge you have acquired in the workplace, and the impact you have made on your organization.
2. Leadership potential: Are you an effective leader? Do you have what it takes to become one? We look for vision, courage, initiative, maturity, curiosity and self-confidence.
3. Intellectual ability: Undergraduate university degree or equivalent. The GMAT or other aptitude tests are not required for admissions. Entry into the Mastery Stage of the program is dependent on the assessment taking place at the end of Advanced Management Concepts.
4. International outlook: In order to maintain the highly international outlook of the IMD Executive MBA program, we look for candidates with cultural sensitivity, time spent living or working outside own country, international scope of career, and/or knowledge of foreign languages.
5. Support of your company: The IMD Executive MBA program requires a serious commitment from you and your sponsoring organization, which must be willing to become a "laboratory" for your learning. The financial support of your organization is a matter to be resolved between you and your company.
6. English language proficiency: English is the language of instruction. You must have a strong command of both written and spoken English.
GMAT: Not required. IMD applies 4 proprietary in-program tests instead of the GMAT test
Optional additional information:
1 x Sponsor’s Letter of Recommendation plus 2 x Personal Letters of Recommendation
3 x Essays
Certified copies of Tertiary Education Diploma with Transcripts in English, French or German
Application fee: CHF 200.00
Tuition fees (in Swiss Franc (CHF)):
Total of CHF 105’000 with instalments per module of CHF 25’000 + CHF 15’000 + CHF 10’000 + CHF 55’000 = CHF 105’000 excluding travel or accommodations. Flexible payment schemes are available for the Mastery Stage fee, i.e. the CHF 55’000 can be split into two invoices of CHF 25’000 and CHF 20’000 for instance
Travel and accommodation estimated cost is estimated at between CHF 15'000 - 25’000 (Depending on the category of travel and accommodation for the core on-campus residential modules and discovery expedition trips)